I just got a phone call from con edison saying I owe them…

Hi I just got...

Hi I just got a phone call from con edison saying I owe them for discrepancies between estimated electricity usage and actual usage. The amount is quite large and I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to negotiate it down.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Brooklyn, NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I only got a phone call

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that's the gist.

3/7/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I've been an attorney for about 20 years. I am currently working on a response to your question and will have that to your shortly.

Great thanks Wendy. Let me know if you need any more details.

It appears that Con Edison typically does estimated billing when it is unable to read the relevant meter. I am not sure if that is the case in your situation or even if they told you when they called why they did not have actual usage billed during this time period. In years past, Con Edison has had a number of times when they did not read meters for a variety of reasons. Thus, at some point in recent years, Con Edison provided on its website (https://www.coned.com/en/accounts-billing/how-to-read-your-meter) a way for you to submit your own meter reading to avoid erroneous estimated billing. I am also aware - though have not confirmed it with Con Edison - that some power companies provide for budget billing wherein they charge the same amount each month for a period of time based on prior usage and then either credit or bill you for any discrepancy. In either case - failure to get accurate meter reading or budget billing - you may have used more power than you were billed for. If, however, the issue is a failure to read your meter, I would suggest finding out why Con Edison claims that inability, as if they were physically able to do so and did not you may have some recourse to reduce the amount now being sought. Even if they had a legitimate and legal reason, most companies (including utility companies) have ways to assist you in payment of larger than expected amounts (e.g., reduced total or payments over time added to your power bill going forward). No harm can come from calling them back and discussing what your options are. If they do not offer any or none of the options are doable or acceptable to you, it may be worthwhile to consult with an attorney in your area to ensure that your bill was in accordance with all local laws and regulations. I hope this is helpful and wish you the best of luck.

If you need further help, please reply to this email. If I have answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This is provided as general information ​for informational and educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no course of action proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is created as a result of this conversation.

Attorney Wendy