I just received a letter with a cashiers check for $2450.00…

I just received...

I just received a letter with a cashiers check for $2450.00 from a company called "second to none". They want me to deposit the check in my account and use the funds to buy things from a store that the will identify via text on my phone after I notify them that I havr deposited their check and received notice that the funds are available. After I have completed all that they want me to do I notify them and they will withdraw the funds from my account except for $200.00 which is what they will pay me for my efforts. My question is simple. Is this a lagitamate company? and should I go forward with this transaction?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Idaho

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not to my knowledge

3/7/2018
Trista Johnson

Your instincts to question what you received appear to be spot on.

The company "Second to None" appears to be a legitimate entity; however, there is a high likelihood that what you received is not actually from Second to None based upon the following disclaimer on their website:

Consumer Alert: Second To None never sends paper checks and never offers wire transfer mystery shopping assignments. If you have received a check by mail that appears to be from Second To None, DO NOT CASH THE CHECK and DO NOT wire any funds to anyone. If you received a paper check by mail, someone is targeting you in a wire transfer scam. Learn more here to protect yourself from becoming the victim of a scam.

"Our company name, along with other mystery shopping companies, is unfortunately being unlawfully used by scam artists. We are fully cooperating with state and federal authorities to identify and prosecute these individuals and to protect consumers."

https://www.second-to-none.com/contact-us/

You may want to contact them regarding what you received so that they can notify the authorities.

There are legitimate secret shopper opportunities out there but as you can see this is an area ripe for fraud. Continue to be skeptical when someone sends you money in this manner. If you deposit a check and it is later discovered to be fraudulent, you will be responsible for the funds if you have already withdrawn them. Do not assume the bank teller's acceptance of the check means it's valid.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

thank you I thought it was fraudulent and so I checked with you people.

You're welcome! Happy to help.

Trista Johnson