Recently found and placed my father in an assisted living…

Customer Question
Recently found and placed...

Recently found and placed my father in an assisted living facility. My mother (88) signed the paperwork and paid for 5 days in Jan. and all of Feb. The cost was for the room, his care and a “community fee.” He was there less than 24 hours when he fell out of bed and they sent him to the hospital. He was in the hospital for 5 days for a fractured vertebra from a previous fall prior to being admitted, and then was ordered to a rehab facility for one month of therapy before going back to his assisted living home. My mother paid them $1054.22 for 5 days in Jan and $5359 for Feb and a $2500 “community fee” Total $8913.22. I asked the director in February if any of the money could be refunded. She said the money for his room could not because they were holding his place. I asked about the money for his care, since he didn’t receive any. I was told that for the facility to keep their high quality care rating and to keep their caregiver/ patient ratio, the care money could not be refunded. I since have not been able to reach any by phone. They don’t return my calls. I sent an email saying I would like to ask some questions and have them answered, but no response. Another problem is that my mother can’t find the paperwork she signed so I wasn’t able to check back to see what they stipulated about these things possibly coming up. Please advise.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

This is in Ohio and the paperwork was done on Jan22, 2018

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, they have since decided he wouldn’t be able to return there because he needs at least two people to assist him getting up, etc

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I’m just need some advice

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/7/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If he fell due to the negligence of the home staff, then you have a right to sue them for his injury and cost of his care. Since they do not want to speak to you any longer you need to first file a complaint with the Department of Health which licenses nursing homes in OH at https://www.odh.ohio.gov/odhprograms/ltc/nurhome/nurhome1.aspx for their negligent care leading to his fall.

You also need to get him a local attorney to pursue the home for his injury and additional cost of his care.

Your mom has a right to go in there and demand a copy of his contract with them that she signed and they have to provide it to her and you need to take your mom there to go get copies of the contract.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.