I'm in a divorce action but I need to prove that my spouse…

Customer Question
I'm in a divorce...

I'm in a divorce action but I need to prove that my spouse did receive a rather large award in a lawsuit, I've check her records but nothing shows up how do I access public records for the state of NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't know she did receive the money

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/7/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

The lowest cost option would be to contact the courts to find out if there is an action with the name of a specific individual. There are also websites online that allow you to plug someone's name in to see if there is a case involving them. And in the course of divorce litigation you can submit Interrogatories to your spouse asking them to admit their involvement in certain litigation and whether they recovered any money.

I've tried the websites but none show her particular case, I know she received the award because she has told me, but I'm having a hard time proving it
Besides this is a past action approx 2 years

Then you would have to do Interrogatories OR you would need to hire a forensic accountant to find the funds if the websites don't show anything and your attorney is unable to find the case.