My daughter was recently employed by a small corporation in…

Customer Question
Hello. My daughter was recently...
Hello. My daughter was recently employed by a small corporation in St. Louis, MO and they withheld her last pay check with their reasoning of training fees that were incurred. This employer required her to have this training in order to complete her every day job. She was not given any notice or itemized statement of these fees as well as her last pay check stub. Since she was actually employed in the State of MO but the actual Corporation is based out of the State of LA, are they legally able to take that check for these fees?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/7/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Thanks so much for requesting me and for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, the law in both MO and LA state that an employer can only deduct wages if the employee has agreed to the deduction or if the deductions are required by law (e.g. taxes). In this case, what's going to be important is whether your daughter at any time agreed that she would have her wages deducted for this training. If no one ever told her that this was the case, if there is no written policy on the matter, or if it just wasn't otherwise agreed to at all, then your daughter will have a case for wage theft. She should file it in the state where she lives with the department of labor.

She could get started right away by clicking here and filing the complaint today.

How else can I help you today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer