I rent an apartment and the management wants to come in to…

I rent an apartment...

I rent an apartment and the management wants to come in to test fire alarms. I told them they can come but they cannot enter when I'm not there. They said they're doing it today and tomorrow so I stayed home all day. They haven't come yet and I can't stay home again tomorrow. What should I do if they come in tomorrow when I'm not there- call the police?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Mass

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't know what you mean

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to confirm that they don't have the right to enter without my permission unless it's an emergency. Thus us routine maintenance and I think I've been more than accommodating sitting here all day to wait for them.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Your landlord, or an agent for your landlord, may only enter your apartment for the following reasons:

• To inspect the premises;
  • To make repairs;
  • To show the apartment to a prospective tenant, purchaser, mortgagee or its agents;
  • In accordance with a court order;
  • If the premises appear to be abandoned; or
  • To inspect the premises within the last 30 days of tenancy in order to determine the amount of damage to be deducted from the security deposit.

The landlord should be reasonable and attempt to arrange a mutually convenient time to visit the apartment. If the landlord insists on entering your apartment in an unreasonable fashion, you may file for a temporary restraining order at your local district court (M.G.L. c. 186, §§ 14 and 15B).

This is a civil issue, not criminal, so I do not believe the police would take action and they do need to enter to check these and go rental to rental. Yes, I agree you have waited all day but if they provided a two day window to complete this, they will be there tomorrow, if they do not come by the end of today.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

you're saying g they can enter when they want

No, they can not just enter but they do need to give you reasonable notice, which you shared they did. Yes, it was over two day time period but they are unable to tell each tenant when and what time they will be there to inspect. They are allowing you to be present but can enter as this is a matter of safety and liability to the rental property, so they need to make sure everything is working. I know you want to be there to secure your property and make sure nothing is broken and you are allowed but you can not prevent them from inspecting, as they did provide the proper notice and are doing this during normal hours.

Seems unfair that I have to take 2 vacation days for something that will take them 2 minutes. Thanks

You are welcome and I agree. This happens often with large rental properties when they do this. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney