I have a abandoned vehicle. store short my girlfriend who…

I have a abandoned...

I have a abandoned vehicle. long store short my girlfriend who pasted in may paid for a blazer for her step daughter she keeps saying she's coming to get it. but since May she hasn't it's titled in Florida. what can I do

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Car in Virginia 97

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I know of

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Guess not

Answered in 1 day by:
3/9/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

I don't quite understand... are you saying your girlfriend left her car with you in May and hasn't returned to retrieve it?

My life long girlfriend moved in with me, passed away. She got the car she paid for the car. Her stepdaughter was to take care of her, she (the stepdaughter left her when she found out she had no money. We drove the car from Florida to Virginia in May.. The stepdaughter was to get the car in July but no show. Asked her to remove the car. Now 10 months later the stepdaughter wants me to have it road ready.

When you say the stepdaughter "was to get the car"... does that mean she received the car in the will? Was there a will? Stepchildren are not heirs so unless she was promised that in the will the SD has no standing.... Do you want to give the car to the SD? I'm not quite sure what your question is at this point.

No will, no she don't deserve it. Carl found out she had cancer 1-2-17. Bobby Jo stepdaughter was to take care of her. She left all when his was put on me in march. I lost my job over it i lost over $8000 dollar. Going back & forth to Florida. Carla called me & said come & get me or have they'd put her in a nursing home. She liv d 11 days at my house pasted in my dinninroom. I asked for help on cremation. Got thing from so called family. & friends. My church paid for it.
I just want to know my legal right. The car has been at my house since May 2017, I asked for it to be removed she was to get it shipped but I heard nothing till last week. Then b j wants the car road ready. Needs freeze plug, front break line.we had to stop every 100 miles to fill break fuild. Cars junk but she's don't deserve it. Carla paid for the car. Its in bobby Jo's name. Car came from Florida tagged in Florida I live in Virginia, bobby Jo. Lives in Illinois's. Do i have any thing to stand on. I was going to apply for abandoned vice but it takes 45 days. Bobby to be here on march 23 red. If she shows

BJ is a step-child. Under the law step-children are NOT entitled to anything unless it is left for them on the will. Therefore you CAN choose to apply for abandoned vehicle standing. Remember, just because someone wants the car doesn't change the fact that it can still be deemed abandoned. I could want the car. The guy down the street could want the car. But I'm not entitled to it and the guy down the street is not entitled to it AND BJ is not entitled to it because Carla didn't leave it to any of those people. Does that make sense? So you can choose to give her the car if you want to, but she doesn't qualify for it b/c she is not one of the people that would collect under the laws of intestacy. So it's completely your choice whether you want to give it to her or not, to fix it up or not. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Even if the car is in her name. If I apply for abandoned vihicle she shows up.then what?. I can prove its been here since May. Just ask her to leave? Can she charge me with stolen vehicle?
I just want to cover all my bases.

If the car is in BJ's name then it's her car. I thought it was in Carla's name...

If it's in Carla's name you could apply for abandoned vehicle designation and just plain not let BJ in. Remember, this presumes that she doesn't have title to the car. And, yes, you'd just ask her to leave in that case.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney