How can we obtain a copy of the police report when it

Customer Question
Hello,How can we obtain a...
Hello,How can we obtain a copy of the police report when it involves a juvenile? We are not able to obtain this from the police department. However, the City's Attorney said: "Although you cannot obtain a copy of the police report from the City at this time, there may be another way of obtaining a copy of the police report. However, because I represent the City and not you, I cannot provide you with any legal advice regarding these alternative means, if any."
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/7/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Thanks so much for requesting me! I'm honored.

Generally, the police aren't required to provide police reports unless they are subpoenaed to do so. So, if you brought a negligence lawsuit, you could submit a submit to the police department to have them turn over that evidence.

Until then, the law allows the police to withhold that information and give it out only if they want to. It's unfortunate; however, it is what they are allowed to do. It is often the case to help them protect the identify of the people involved. But keep in mind that you can make a request again for the police report and if you have to sue, they would have to turn it over. There is a small probability that they could ask the court to "quash" the subpoena, but that's only if there is an ongoing investigation and they don't want to tip their hand against the people they're investigating.

Did you have any other questions for me about this?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer