I thought I signed a cancellation of contract form, but

Customer Question
I thought I signed...

I thought I signed a cancellation of contract form, but didn't. I signed the release of deposit portion of the form instead. Now the Seller says I am no longer the buyer. I'm concerned about the return of the deposit. If the seller wants to cancel, I want him to sign the cancellation and release of deposit. Question: if I didn't sign, is escrow still open?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Don't know what you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Escrow was opened. Back and forth. I sent an addendum to the listing agent to be signed by the seller that would have released all contingencies, established price and date of closing. It wasn't signed.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/7/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 4 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
How much are you owed back?
20000
Are you familiar with ca law and forms?
Ok. A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
no. My question is If the cancellation form was not signed, is escrow still open and am I still the buyer?
you are still the buyer and could compel a closing. Is that clearer?
The form I'm referring to is california association of realtors cancellation of contract form. It has two parts--the top section calling for just a signature of the buyer or the seller; and the bottom of the form requiring signature of both buyer and seller to become effective in releasing escrow and the deposit. That bottom part is all I signed, not the top section. Since I did not sign the top part, is escrow still open and am I still the buyer? If the Seller wants to move on, I want him to cancel and sign the release of funds.
still the buyer until form completely signed and then deposit is returned.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!
Awaiting your reply, thank you!