I received a letter from Barbar Veretout in Spain or

Customer Question
I received a letter...

I received a letter from Barbar Veretout in Spain or Portugal telling me I had won Mega-Millions jackpot of 4,500,000 dollars and they want $1200.00 from me in order to get the prize. IT's a scam isn't it??????

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when exactly were you notified?

In Michigan in yesterday's mail (tuesday)

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Somebody in "Portugal" named John Christopher was referred to me, but I don't know anything about him..

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/7/2018
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 4 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

You're absolutely correct, it's a total scam. You cannot win a lottery or contest you didn't enter. Most importantly, no official lottery or sweepstakes is going to make you pay money to claim your prize. This is an "advanced fee" scam. The way it works is 'in advance' of getting your prize, you are asked to send the scammer money. Once you send them money of course, you never hear from them again.

Don't send them money, just ignore it.

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for my by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.