I went to court on a traffic violation. The ticket listed…

Hello - I went...

Hello - I went to court on a traffic violation. The ticket listed one charge. And the reminder notice they sent me in the mail listed that same charge. I went to court to argue my innocence to that charge. After the trail I was sent a notice finding me guilty, but of a different charge. Can they do that? I feel like I should have had the opportunity to defend myself against the new charge.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Claifornia

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

I already did - I am appealing

Answered in 1 day by:
3/9/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

No, they can't do that. It sounds like it was a type - someone hit a wrong key somewhere. You should certainly appeal it but you should also contact the court clerk and find out if it was just a plain old mistake.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Olivia. I did appeal it. They said that the charge was amended at trial. At the beginning of the trail the police officer asked to amend the charge and the judge agreed. I honestly didn't realize that had happened. This was my first time in court. The officer just listed the charge numbers. No description of what the numbers meant, and no one asked me if I understood the new charge. I didn't know what had happened so I argued my innocence to the charge that was listed on all of the documents I had. I was confused. I asked at one point if the charge was "crossing a flare pattern or beacon" (the original charge). The judge said "I don't think that's an issue". I didn't understand his response. I don't know how trials work so I didn't press further. I feel like if they wanted to change the charge, during the trial, they should have explained to me what I was being charged with. Especially since I made it clear that I didn't understand.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have an audio recording of the trail.

Honestly, my friend, I have literally never heard of THAT before. When you appeal you of course have to explain that you did not get your day in court because you were arguing against a charge that was no longer what you were being charged with. You might also want to argue that it was PREJUDICIAL for them to change the charge mid-trial without explaining what that meant to you.

P.S. Definitely include the recording as an exhibit - but direct them to a certain spot in the recording since they won't listen to the whole thing!

----

Reminder: Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice.

Please let me know if that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, if you wouldn't mind could you please take a moment to submit a rating. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively. 5 STARS is always appreciated! If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When are they supposed to change the charge? How does that normally work?

They'd have to notify you as soon as the charge was modified. So if it was during the trial, they'd have to notify you immediately.

You'll want to review the transcript to see how exactly it happened since the prosecutor needs to notify the court at that point.

and if there was a jury (you haven't said there was...) they jury would need to be educated differently about the standard there...

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It wasn't a jury trial. I guess the police officer is the prosecutor in traffic court, so technically he did notify the court. But I think the new charge should have been explained to me, especially since I asked specifically about the charge later in the hearing. The judge had to know I didn't understand the new charge or even that the charge had been changed. I will argue that it was PREJUDICIAL for them to change the charge mid-trial without explaining what that meant to you. Thank you for your help.

Thanks so much for your rating! The police officer is not the prosecuting attorney. They'd be separate people. You'll want to review the testimony of the attorney and the statements made by the prosecutor and see if the statements by the prosecutor were misleading or if someone should have done a better of explaining to you, an unrepresented litigant, what was going on! f I can be of assistance in the future, you can reach me directly by clicking HERE or asking for me directly by putting THIS QUESTION IS FOR OLIVIA before typing your question.
It saves you from having to explain your situation anew, to a brand new person.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Then there was no prosecutor present. Just the police officer, judge and bailiff. ??

Sounds odd... that just doesn't make sense. I would look at your transcript b/c there has to be someone questioning the officer.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney