What type of attorney do i need to retain if i feel that my…

What type of attorney...

What type of attorney do i need to retain if i feel that my child was unfairly expelled from school.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Baton Rouge, La., specifically West Baton Rouge Parish.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

There was an "Expulsion Hearing" on Monday at which time we were asked to sign a document stating that we had the right to have an attorney present and that we had 5 days to appeal the dean of students decision.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that we were not provided proper notice of what our child's rights were. The situation was "messy" and the decision was hardly appropriate. This decision will destroy her hard work and stability that she has worked so hard to gain (she is sec. 504)

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Please take your time.

Great, thank you! The system may automatically ask you for a phone call; however, it’s not required that you take it. Bear with me a moment while I review…

Thanks so much for your patience. So, generally, the kind of lawyer you would need is one that specializes in educational matters. There aren't a ton of lawyers in most states that do this kind of law and the ones that do usually work for the school district anyway. Most parents usually hire their own civil litigators to help with these issues because this really comes down to whether the school followed their policies.

Could you tell me what concerns you about their decision?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
if you could please call(###) ###-####
Phone call session started

Hello! I see that you requested a phone call. That’s great news! I have just one caller ahead of you, but you will be live on the phone with me in about 30 minutes.