Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Have a default judgment (contract) of $20,000. Plaintiff has

Customer Question

have a default judgment (contract) of $20,000. Plaintiff has filed for a writ of bodily attachment. Hearing scheduled for 3/29. I'd like to try to have it delayed into middle of April or quashed completely. Researching how to do pro se
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida 4th judicial circuit
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes, plaintiff filed a motion to show cause or issue a writ of bodily attachment. Judge scheduled hearing (10 min) on 3/29
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, but I will answer anything he asks. Thanks.
Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry, but it is not really possible to quash the writ if it is based on a valid judgment. So the other option is to delay it, like you wanted. This would then require a Motion for Continuance. See HERE for a great example of the format. This is filed AND SET FOR A HEARING BEFORE 3/29. Then, the Court has discretion on whether to grant the continuance or not.

Usually things like emergencies, medical issues, and other good reasons are enough to grant a continuance.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.