I have not finished the lease on my apartment in NJ and

Hi so I have...

Hi so I have not finished the lease on my apartment in NJ and needed to move out, so I was notified that a new tenant has been found and now has the keys to the apartment...am I still liable for the remaining months? Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No issues. The terms of the lease is 12 months. However, due to an emergency, I need to leave the apartment. I was told by the landlord that if they will be able to re rent the place, which they did, I will be free from the lease please tell me if this is true

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Please tell me how much the charge would be

3/7/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
http://www.plea.org/legal_resources/?a=303 is it harassment if I repeatedly ask broker about status of new lease? Thank you

No. The person has to reasonably fear for their safety.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is the screenshot of my conversation with the realtor with the realtor saying the apartment has been leased https://www.dropbox.com/s/5e2dvsjojpcqq3n/Screenshot_20180307-160832.jpg?dl=0The landlord manager however, says that they did not receive any lease. I suppose in a court of law, should they ever sue me, that this conversation with the broker would be evidence right?Thanks!

Absolutely.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
for now there is nothing for me to worry about and should just be rest assured that everything should be in my favor as I have all the evidence right?

Correct!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, I have been repeatedly been emailing the landlord but the landlord is not answering...what should I do?

Well, there may not be much that you need to do. If they have rented the place out and if they haven't sent any demands for payment, then you can let it go, thankfully.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What I did was email them asking for status, as well as give them my forwarding address...they have not replied ever since...I'm worried also because in NJ law I believe, they have 30 days to give back the deposit or otherwise they will be paying me up to 3x the amount?

Yes, that's the law. If they don't give it back to you, then you may have to go to small claims court to recover, unfortunately.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think it would be wise to have a lawyer collect for me?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since I have sent my forwarding address, and they know my email, if they make a demand for payment I assume they would be sending a letter or email by now but since they did not send anything, I will just sit and wait, is that what you are suggesting? Can I file in small claims court after say 3 months and I did not hear from them? No demand letters or security deposit? Thanks!

Yes, you can have a lawyer collect for you or you can file in small claims after a few months if you don't hear from them.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer