A friend of mine wife recently passed away, about a month…

A friend of mine...

A friend of mine wife recently passed away, about a month before she took out a loan in her name only, is my friend, the husband legally liable for the loan??

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing filed, he did notify the loan company that his wife passed away

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that’s it

3/7/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I’m waiting

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend's wife's passing. The answer to your question is no, he is not going to be personally liable for the loan. Her estate is going to be liable for the loan so it is possible that the creditor may either a) try to collect from the estate or b) just write it off as an noncollectable debt. Most companies just write it off.

So, your friend doesn't need to worry. What other questions did you have for me about this today?

Thank you very much

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer