I had a constable leave a business card at my home today to…

Hello...I had a constable...

Hello...I had a constable leave a business card at my home today to call him immediately. I don't have health insurance and for the first time in my life there were bills I can't pay. Therefore, I know it's an attempt to collect a bill. Please advise.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

Rhode Island

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes.. I've had perfect credit up to the last 2 years and I am an upstanding citizen

3/7/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been experiencing difficulty with bills (credit cards) the past two years due to the lack of health insurance which almost tripled and I had to drop it and then had some medical issues. Prior to that my credit was to perfection. This is regarding bill collection. A constable left his business card at my house this morning and said to call immediately

I see. Usually, a constable is not going to be involved in the collection of debts in most cases so that is a bit strange. Have you had a chance to contact the constable over the phone or over email to find out exactly what it is that they want?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well..the last time one came to my home one year ago it was about going to court for a medical bill I owed. I signed but didn't go to court and they took the money out of my bank account. so, it does happen

I see what you mean. Usually, if the constable is involved, they are there to leave court paperwork that will summon you to court because a creditor is suing you. Did they leave any paperwork regarding this at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No .. he didn't

That's very interesting. Ok, one moment...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks..I'll contact a local Attorney.

Ok, so if the constable only left his card, there is only so much to go off of. When a party initiates a lawsuit, they must file the lawsuit first, and then have it served. Sometimes it can be served by a sheriff, constable, or even a private person so long as they are over 18 and not a party to the case.

So, it is possible that you are being sued, but if no one was home, they probably didn't leave the paperwork and will come back later.

Thus, I would recommend that you go to your county courthouse's website and search for your name to determine if there are any pending actions against you. If they don't allow for you to search online, then you can go down to the courthouse yourself and ask them if there are any pending civil cases with your name attached to them.

If you don't find your name, I would recommend at least emailing the constable (to keep things in writing) to find out the nature of their visit. It could be for something completely unrelated such as their investigation of a missing item.

How else can I Help you today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s very helpful! Thanks so much!

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer