I live in Florida and I was looking for details on the

Hello, I live in...

Hello, I live in Florida and I was looking for details on the process of trying to file for divorce from and missing person and what steps are needed to do so

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I filed paperwork a few years ago that was sent to him but he disappeared after that so nothing was ever continued or resolved from that point

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is no property to split and no children to be concerned with so the quickest, cheapest option would be helpful. I already paid for the paperwork I filed the first time and if I can avoid spending a ton more I would definitely prefer it

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thank you so much

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

So, if you're saying that it has been a few years, I suspect your divorce petition has been dismissed. So you're going to need to file from scratch. And if you're unable to serve your spouse you'll need to ask the court to permit substituted service, whereby you can serve your spouse in a nontraditional way (like by publishing in the newspaper).

I guess that is actually my question is how to go about asking a court for this situation and if it’s something I can just go into a courthouse and file out a petition or if I’m going to have to spend a ton of money on all new paperwork again? Who it is I need to contact to talk to the court about filing this way?

Basically, you file your Summons and Complaint with the court and then you also file a motion for substituted service. It's a separate piece of paper you would file

that’s something I would just go to our courthouse to do?

Yes. They usually have samples/templates you can use.

Thank you so much! I just honestly wasn’t sure what kind of paperwork I needed to ask for and where to go and get it. Thank you.

My pleasure :)

And here's a link to some samples: http://www.flcourts.org/resources-and-services/family-courts/family-law-self-help-information/family-law-forms.stml

If you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Thank you I will!