My house went to foreclosure. The person who bought my place…

My house went to...

My house went to foreclosure. The person who bought my place on 2/28/18. Wants me to sign a lease to stay in my place till March 31. thats the date I plan on moving out. He wants to charge me rent. Should I sign the lease? How long would it take him to process eviction paper work in the state of Colorado.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?

Colorado....has what paperwork been filed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The foreclose has happened and complete, I have been notified by the bank

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Im sorry I haven't been notified by the bank

3/7/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Since you're not considered a tenant at this point, he would be allowed to file an eviction case against you immediately. The hearing is usually scheduled for about 2 weeks after the date of filing, and you're allowed to request a continuance. After the hearing, it'll take about 48 hours for him to get a writ of execution, which is the legal document that allows the sheriff to forcibly remove you from the premises. The sheriff can show up as early as the next day. So, it is theoretically possible that if you decline to sign the lease, the new owner would be able to have you removed from the premises before March 31. A lot depends on how busy the courts in your area are.

Note that if he winds up taking you to court, the judge will order you to pay the new owner rent for the days you were living on the property. So it could benefit you to instead try to negotiate a fair rent.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney