I am an employer of a lfeet of semi trucks. Our driver had…

I am an employer...

I am an employer of a lfeet of semi trucks. Our driver had an accident in wpg mb and quit on the spot. He drove the truck and trailer to headingly mb and abandoned it. we had to get the trailer back to the company and pick up our truck. we lost our trip payment, incurred a tow charge, insurance charge and i feel emotional suffering because of this. What are my legal options to sue this guy. We withheld his last 4 days of pay to compensate what he owed us but now he is suing us for his pay.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

This is in manitoba canada. The truck is a 2007 freightliner. Our truck was contracted on with a freight company and we hired the driver

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not on our end because we hoped he would accept that his pay would cover the damages. As it turns out his pay did not cover the expenses we incurred and now he wants his pay.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is this a small claims issue or is it another department?

3/7/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Normally an employer cannot sue an ex employee but where acted intentionally to cause harm you can pursue it.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
do I have a case where intentional harm was intended? Is this manitaba laws?
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Excellent. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
INFOLAWYER, Attorney