Hopefully, my wife went to the hospital due breathing and…

Customer Question
Hopefully, my wife went...

Hopefully, my wife went to the hospital due breathing and heart, back issues. now the hospital wants to put her in a psych ward without her permission is there anything we can do to avoid this

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New york

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She was under a psychiatrist help but he drop her when she went into the hospital

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Unless she is being legally committed you would be able to simply leave the hospital - and even if she is being legally committed it can only be for a short period of time without a court order.

would the short period stay be 72 hr. hold?

Yes, it would be 72 hours. The following is the law in New York: "A voluntary patient who submits a written request to leave the hospital must be released unless the director of the psychiatric center believes that the person meets the requirements for involuntary admission and therefore needs to stay. In this case, the director must apply to a judge within 72 hours for authorization to keep the patient." https://www.omh.ny.gov/omhweb/patientrights/inpatient_rts.htm