Joanne Lepke. I was married for 25 years. My husband and i…

Customer Question
Hi...Joanne Lepke. I was...

Hi...Joanne Lepke. I was married for 25 years. My husband and i divorced and in the decree it stated that each other would receive the life insurance of the first to die. The life insurance for the second would be split between two grown adult sons. My sons concinced my sick husband to change the beneficiaries to them. He died and they took the money. Does the divorce decree supercede the life insurance as to who should get the money.? And what can i do to get it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/7/2018
Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

The divorce decree supercedes the beneficiary designation because your husband was ordered by the court to have life insurance naming you as a beneficiary. Unfortunately, you are now forced to bring a lawsuit to retrieve the proceeds of the money. Most likely, you will need an attorney to handle this because it is not a usual proceeding. In any event, the good news is that you have a claim for the money.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Hello again:

I am checking in with you to see how things are going. If you need more, just let me know.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney