My neighbor joined a "Kenny Rogers" Fan Club 2.5 years ago.

My neighbor joined a...

My neighbor joined a "Kenny Rogers" Fan Club 2.5 years ago. Kenny had her set up a bank account and send him all of the account information. Peroidicaly he mails her large checks to deposit and a list of who the money is to be sent to and the amount. He also asks her to purchase I-tunes cards and text him the info on each card.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

About a year ago he started asking her to put her own money in the account. and now he says that they will meet and he has purchased a property on West Palm Beach for the two of them to retire to. To accomplish this he has a box filled with cash and gold that is in Africa that she has to pay to have it sent to the U.S. This is more than $7000.00. She has been making payments from her weekly salary but he is demanding more money faster. I think he is using her to "Launder" money but she insists it is up and up. She is 79 years old and an RN, married and bull-headed. She doesn't talk to me directly but to my wife. The banks are getting worried about her too as she has been tossed out of five of them so far. Twice I sent this info to the F.B.I. but they haven't responded yet. I'll bet that in your 25+ years you haven't been confronted with this. I am her neighbor and her friend and I can't see any way for her to survive this when it's proven to be a scam.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Two times to The FBI but without a response.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What else would help?

3/7/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Yes, this is a complete scam and the scammer is setting her up for a big loss... Any rational person would realize this for what it it... a phishing scam that has evolved into a scam where she is being set up to lose everything she has sent to this criminal. Why would Kenny Rogers need her to funnel money through a bank account?

.

The reason she keeps getting bank accounts closed is that this is likely illegal money laundering for things like terrorist activities or drug money... They seek out gullible people to engage in these actions as long as possible before they lower the boom and take as much money from them as they can. Then they move on..

.

But the only thing you can do is try to research these scams online and provide written evidence to her that it is a scam... If she chooses to ignore it, and then loses all her money, you have done everything that you could do to try and stop her..

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

And I really hope you and wife can talk some sense into her because it is probably impossible to recover from the setback this will cause at her age..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney
Barrister, Attorney