A friend of mine has a son that has been locked up since…

Customer Question
A friend of mine...

A friend of mine has a son that has been locked up since Sept.2017. He has many charges pending but they won't set a bail nor will they set a date for him to go to court. What are his rights? Can we talk to a judge at county he is being held at?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Douglas County Ga

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I'm not sure if your question

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well all charges state they are pending...most of them he was not involved...but because he was in the same home he was charged too. All others arrested have already gotten out.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/7/2018
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 1 month ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

It's very hard for us to answer a question like "what are my rights" and provide you with helpful information. I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you look him up under the county inmates file to see the charges pending? He has been in jail for 6 months with no bail set. He has never been in any trouble prior to these charges. Can we request to speak to a Judge

I can not look him up...I do not have access to his files. Did you have other questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What rights does he have when he has not been convited of anything. His charges are pending with no bond. And again do we have a right to speak to a judge personally

Does he have counsel (an attorney)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but he is not doing a good job after being paid $5000

Thanks

You can attempt to talk to the judge...but I would expect the judge to reuse to speak to you...or anyone, other than his lawyer. And then, ONLY when the case is in court. The judges are precluded from communicating with one party without the other party being present. So the judge is unlikely to speak to you.

His attorney should be representing him...if the attorney is NOT? Then he (the accused) should raise this to the judge at the next hearing.

Your friends son has a right to a speedy trial...so he has the right to have this resolved quickly. His attorney can assist with that...if the attorney refuses, the judge can appoint a new attorney

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Attorney