Defamation: My brother has accused me of stealing money from…

Customer Question
Defamation: My brother has...
Defamation: My brother has accused me of stealing money from my parents' estate. Not true. He has not just told me that but also my sister. So, given the fact that he has defamed me to other family members, do I have legal recourse.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/7/2018
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Defamation of character is defined as a false statement of fact that harms the reputation of the victim.

If someone lied about you and that lie harmed your reputation? You can sue the person who lied for defamation.

So in your case, if your brothers lies have harmed your reputation, you can sue him to recover. You will need to hire a local attorney to proceed (this is not something you can bring to small claims)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

unless he has ruined my reputation, except in the eyes of my sister, i have no recourse? What if she says She's devastated by the accusations about me, which she is, and doesn't believe, but are so hurtful.

To sue for defamation does not, necessarily, require you prove your reputation was "devastated". If you can show it was harmed, you can sue to recover for the harm you suffered.

That said, defamation suits are expensive...and you have to pay your lawyers fees...so it may well be that the cost to litigate this will exceed what you can expect to recover.

Still, if your goal is to sue? You can do so.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil