I actually have a question about car ownership. Michigan and…

Customer Question
Hi! I actually have...

Hi! I actually have a question about car ownership

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Michigan and it is from 2008

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don’t understand the question, can I go ahead and explain the situation and I think you’ll understand the question a little better

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I think we’re good

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
here’s whats happening. For just over two years now my girlfriend has driven a car, a 2008 Aura to be exact. She has also been the person that is paying for the loan. However her dad’s name is ***** ***** loan and it is on the title of the car. Her mother and her father are now becoming estranged and are getting divorced in the near future. This is due to the fact that the father is cheating on the mother. Because of this my girlfriend would like to take her father’s name off of the title. This is all made more urgent by the fact that the license plate is up for renewal and he refuses to give her the paperwork in order to renew her license plate. Is there any legal options we have to force him to give her at least he paperwork, at best the title to the car
Answered in 1 day by:
3/8/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

You would have to sue dad to have his name removed off the title - but since it is HIS car (as well or solely - you haven't stated if your gf's name is ***** ***** the car) there's no basis for a court to force his removal from title.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
rather than sue is there anything we can do to force him to give registration papers to us just so we can get the license plate? And would it matter in the civil suit if she is the one who always drives it and it paying for the insurance and car?

If the car is in his name then it's HIS car to do with as he pleases. Perhaps if mom STOPS paying for the insurance and the car that is HIS he might not be quite so interested in withholding the documents but there is no way to FORCE him to give up those documents other than litigation. Does that make sense?

Tina, Lawyer