I need to know if a 16 year old felony will prevent me from…

Customer Question
I need to know...

I need to know if a 16 year old felony will prevent me from an insurance license in the state of Georgia. This took place when I was 17 and in high school. First Offender Treatment was granted, and the charge does not show up on a background check; however, I must disclose it to the government.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

Georgia. The charge is Theft by Taking. Involved a neighborhood kids taking a car in the neighborhood with keys left in it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

As far as what?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I believe that is the bulk of it.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
3/6/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Unfortunately, yes, you can be disqualified on those grounds. You can see the statute with regard to that here:

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-33/chapter-23/article-1/33-23-21/

Look at subsections (15) and (16)(A) and (B).

On the other hand, it doesn't say you'd be automatically disqualified, only that they MAY refuse to issue you a license. So after all of this time and given the facts of the old case, it may be worth your while to still apply.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.