I have a question based on patent technology. The purpose is…

I have a question...

I have a question based on patent technology

Lawyer's Assistant: What's the invention's purpose?

The purpose is to function as an electronic device holder or stand, ie cellphone or tablet

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The first part of the question is whether I can manufacture this patented device and distribute if I am offering it as a free bonus product on my website and not directly profiting from its sale

Lawyer's Assistant: You have to pay for your first question. If you sign up for a membership, there is a free trial for questions after that.

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also need to ask if I can slightly alter the design of the product and manufacture and sell, without infringement of this patent
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello I am waiting for a response please
Answered in 2 days by:
3/9/2018
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your patent law question today. I'm attorney Bill assisting you with your request. If the design is already patented you would need a license from the owner to manufacture and legally distribute the product.

A full patent search is available through the USPTO website

https://www.uspto.gov/patents-application-process/search-patents

If your product is an improvement on an existing design this is something that you could seek to patent yourself and then distribute.

The conditions for patentability are set out in the US code:

"a)Novelty; Prior Art.—A person shall be entitled to a patent unless—

(1)

the claimed invention was patented, described in a printed publication, or in public use, on sale, or otherwise available to the public before the effective filing date of the claimed invention; or

(2)

the claimed invention was described in a patent issued under section 151, or in an application for patent published or deemed published under section 122(b), in which the patent or application, as the case may be, names another inventor and was effectively filed before the effective filing date of the claimed invention"

Hence, your patent and product must not already be in use for you to claim and register a patent.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

In return remember to rate my answer positively today.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback to get a credit.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have further questions please

Yes, pleas follow up and remember to leave positive feedback thereafter.

Bill

Bill Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I submit the patent information to you for review to determine whether or not my altered design would not infringe on this patent?

If your product adds something additional and novel to what is already available it would be patentable.

It must have some useful use in addition to the foregone.

Applying for a provisional patent rather than a full patent is something that you can consider to ensure that you can manufacture and use your product.

The review of your designs would be an additional service.

I'm not in a position to make a call just now but another attorney may call you.

Best

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. I do not wish to patent my new design I only want to manufacture and distribute. Do I have to have a patent?

No you don't require a patent and can manufacture and design your product so long as you aren't infringing another's patent and obtain the necessary State licenses.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

LAMAR BULLEN
Phone call session started
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer