I NEED TO CHANGE MY LAST NAME ON MY BIRTH CERTIFICATE. AT…

Customer Question
I NEED TO CHANGE...

I NEED TO CHANGE MY LAST NAME ON MY BIRTH CERTIFICATE. AT THE TIME OF MY BIRTH MY PARENTS WEERE NOT MARREID SO MY BIRTH CERTIFICATE HAS A DIFFERENT LAST NAME THAN MY ACTUAL NAME. dmV WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO RENEW MY LICENSE DUE TO THAT. WHEN I HAAVE PROOF OF WHO I AM INCLUDING MILITARY CREDENTIALS...

Lawyer's Assistant: Regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?

GEORGIA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

NOW MY LICENSE IS EXPIRED AND THEY WILL NOT EXTEND MY TEMPORARY LICENSE.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

NO MAAM

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/6/2018
Lawyer: Sean K, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

Name changes are something that is quite common and as a result, most states have a recognized procedure for accomplishing this.

In Georgia, there is a set procedure that involves petitioning the Court and thereafter your birth certificate can be amended. I have attached here and here two separate documents that detail this process. On the second link there is a process for going to the state office of vital records to change the birth certificate. While the birth certificate will of course work for you, the Court order you receive after filing the petition should also be accepted by the DMV.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

I just wanted to follow up and see if there were anymore questions related to this with which I could help?