My wife and I in Texas are going to get a divorce.

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I in Texas are going to get a divorce. Approximately 7 years ago her mother passed away and left her inherentense from a life insurance policy. That money was deposited into a joint account of ours and was then used to purchase a home. Am I still entitled to half of that purchased property

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not as of yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is my primary question at this time

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/6/2018
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 4 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Yes, you should be. Once the funds were commingled into a joint account and then used to buy a home, during the marriage, with both of you on the title, you would share and have a martial right and interest in the home. Had the funds from the policy been kept separate and not used for this or there was a separate agreement, it would be different but you should be entitled to a share in the home.

Would you be able to provide me with code of the law that states this?
Here is the code for your review. However, this is an argument to make since as you will see it initially classifies nonmarital assets as one like this where it was from a life insurance claim. However, once that is moved to a joint bank account and uses for purchases and also to buy a home and title is in both names there is an intent to have a shared ownership interest with it.http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.7.htm

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!