I have a firm that has contacted me stating that they are…

Customer Question
I have a firm...

I have a firm that has contacted me stating that they are debt collectors for a 2004 debt. The problem is they do not have the right name, what do I need to do.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Today I opened a letter that they had stated that I would receive on last week and It has a response date of March 2,2018

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I am aware of.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
3/6/2018
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

You need not do anything with this. This is simply a scam to try to get you to pay money you don't owe. Even had it been a valid debt, the statute of limitations would have run resulting in you having no obligation to pay the debt. Inform them you do not owe this debt and demand they immediately cease and desist all further efforts to contact you and/or anyone else to collect this debt. Inform them that any efforts to do otherwise will constitute a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and that you will report each and every violation to the Federal Trade Commission. Each violation carries at least a $1,000 fine. Also let them know that should they file any negative credit report, you will be filing a defamation suit against them for both your actual and punitive damages. In my experience, the fine under the Federal Act and the threat of the defamation should be an end to these collection efforts.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have had a conversation with the agent tentatively coming to an agreement. I had not seen anything or signed anything until I received this certified $6.70 postage letter

Don't pay them a dime. If you pay them any money at all, it will start the statute of limitations period over again. You have no obligation to pay anything even if it was originally a valid debt.

Just following up. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary. Thank you!

If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney