I recently was a paying client at a photography studio and i…

Hello, I recently was...

Hello, I recently was a paying client at a photography studio and i used the restroom and the toilet flooded and they are trying to charge me $600 for damage clean up cost. I'm a 3rd party customer - am I legally responsible to pay this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just text communication

3/6/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did you do something to cause the restroom to flood?

I flushed the toilet

Did you over fill the toilet with toilet paper? Did you flush any other object down the toilet? Did you do anything else that would cause it to back up other than simply flush the toilet?

No, there was a sign on the toilet that said "pull gently" on the handle and I did - but apparently not gently enough. I did not flush anything down the toilet other than toilet paper.
Full disclousure: I just peed. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary.
hello?

Thank you for your reply. Please give us time, we are working with multiple customers and all of them deserve the same time you do.

Thank you for your patience.

If you did not stuff anything down the toilet and did not overflow it with toilet paper or any object, the fact it overflowed on normal flushing is NOT your liability. You need to inform them that you are not liable and to cease and desist contacting you about the matter.

You are liable ONLY if you did something negligent that caused it to overflow, you are not liable for doing nothing other than normal use and there is no court that can find you liable for normal use.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

thank you

Thank you for your reply.