I just asked about the non profit question, thank you. Can…

Hello I just asked about...
Hello I just asked about the non profit question, thank you. Can you tell me what’s the best way to acquire funds?
3/6/2018
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

I am following up on the non-profit question - just want to make sure this is in follow up to the five step overview I provided earlier. I want to make sure you have continuity in your answers.

it is

Happy to provide some suggestions.

First, you would want to have some of the registrations with the state and the IRS in place so as to avoid having to pay taxes on the monies.

Donations are an excellent way to go about raising money.

Non-profits usually will form a board of directors of like minded individuals to support the cause. The board will generally provide donations (if they are on the board, they should know they should do so) and they can also use their individual networks of friends, family and professional contacts to do so as well.

Many non-profits set up online donation systems through paypal or other similar payment processing services. (again here make sure the registration is set up and a non-profit only bank account is in place).

There are a number of grants that can be applied for from the federal, state and local level through business, governmental agencies and even other non-profits. Those should be applied for. I have attached a link here to the federal grant center where you can look at various grants that are available.

It is also common to do fundraisers for funding. Generally when this occurs people donate time, food, entertainment, prizes, etc. so the non-profit will receive the actual money.

There are a variety of related ways for money to be raised, but the main thing is letting people know the non-profit exists and the best way for people to see this is to see the good work being done by the non-profit.

Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer