Can a Justice of the Peace (elected official) be allowed to…

Can a Justice of...

Can a Justice of the Peace (elected official) be allowed to have his spouse as his chief clerk in his office

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I know of but I had heard someone complained to state couple of years ago. He is up for re-election and it is one of those things nobody seems to find out for sure if legal, unethical or otherwise

3/6/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

I could find no ethics opinion for the state commission on judicial standards on this issue.Here are all of those opinions..

http://www.txcourts.gov/media/678096/JudicialEthicsOpinions.pdf

You can request an opinion here, open to public

http://www.scjc.texas.gov/contact/contact-us/

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gosh, have already seen all those 172 pages, was hoping you could narrow it down a bit

See opinion 290 here page 166 and there are a couple after that.Thanks for letting me clarify.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** look at that. We are small town people getting tired of "good ole boy" politics around here. Too many connections within four county employees and elected officials.

I agree it certainly ash the appearance of being in conflict.Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.Have a great day

Ray, Lawyer
Ray, Lawyer