I was willed the estate of my Aunt after she passed, got the…

Customer Question
I was willed the...

I was willed the estate of my Aunt after she passed, got the property put in my name after succession and the will was probated the Louisiana state health &hospitals department put a Claim on her estate, how will I have to get this removed

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has a bill from staying at a nursing home for 103,000.00 thousand dollars

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/6/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the executor of the estate did not negotiate with Medicaid to satisfy the medicaid debt even though the succession is closed, you are going to need to seek to file suit in court to remove the lien because it was placed after the succession put the home in your name and as such it would arguably be invalid. You would need to engage a local succession attorney now to file in court to vacate the lien if you cannot negotiate resolution with the Department of Health over the lien.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.