Can a neighbor have a camera in their window pointed

Customer Question
Can a neighbor have...

Can a neighbor have a camera in their window pointed directly at my house, so as to watch my every move

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I’m in ohio in a mobile home park

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, the neighbor reported me having the lot line checked

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have an aneurysm and was advised by a neurogolist to avoid stress

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/6/2018
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 4 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately if it's something that he can see with his naked eye, then it's something that would be legal to record as it's not (legally speaking) an invasion of a legitimate expectation of privacy. You have no legal expectation of privacy in the exterior of your home, public areas and areas visible from the public space/where your neighbor has the right to be without the use of telescopic equipment. If your yard is not visible from these areas, ask them to reposition it. If they refuse, call the non-emergency number of your local police department and see if they are interested in investigating. If not, you can get a lawyer to send the neighbor a legal letter, see if that gets her/his attention. To get the camera removed or repositioned, you'd need a court order. And again, if you can't show that they're peering into a place that you would have an expectation of privacy, then I'm sorry to say that they can do this. That means that you need to draw your blinds / curtains so that they can't see into the house.

I agree that their actions are immoral, unethical, and just creepy. But they're not illegal.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Thank you for your time.

My pleasure.

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.