My daughter plays competitive softball. She decided to go to…

Customer Question
My daughter plays competitive...

My daughter plays competitive softball. She decided to go to a new team this year and the season has not started yet. the team is threatening us with a 900.fee. see email Dear ***** and Tracy ~
Invoices were sent out yesterday and as of today we still have not heard back from you on Alexis, (Lexi) fees. When we spoke last week about your balance of $900.50, Tracy you said that you would set up the Zelle Quick Pay with your bank and send us $200.00 by the end of last week and $100 every Friday. We have not received any notification of this through our bank. As we discussed, you both signed documents on August 28, 2017 stating that you would be paying your daughter's fees monthly with a payment of $175.00 each month until her fees are paid in full which should be March 31, 2018. Please refer to the handbook, in which you both signed, on page 3 paragraph #6 about fees. You also signed the Parent Code of Conduct and in paragraph #4 it explains about the fees.
At our board meeting last evening, the board voted to give you a 30 notice from the day of this e mail to respond about your balance or it will be turned over to our attorney for collection. We would much appreciate if you could let us know the status of your balance.
Sincerely,

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

We already paid 425 and we have not even had one game yet in colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not that I'm aware of but they keep threatening to not take her off the roster and disqualify her from USSSA if we don't pay

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No other than all uniforms we paid for upfront and Lexie signed the documents for us when we went to orientation she was only 15 at the time

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/6/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

They are saying you signed the documents as well on August 28, 2017, so that means that even if your daughter is 15 and signed the agreements (actually this is one exception in the law about minors contracting) then you confirmed any agreements. If there is such a contract and also a handbook with rules that all of you agreed upon, legally they can make you pay the fees contracted to pay, which is why they use written documents to force people to honor their agreements.

If you do not pay, legally they do not have to remove her from the roster and can actually sue you in small claims for breach of contract to seek to collect the balance due if they have the signed documents they say they have.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.