My husband was text by a police officer showing very

My husband was text...

My husband was text by a police officer showing very personal information including address, phone number and license number. This was unsoliticated and from a county that we do not live in. he is not under investigation for anythign and i believe this to be harrassment. what are some options that i have?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

California, on Wednesday

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet, but i would like to

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I belive that is it for now

3/6/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Perfect!

Great, thank you! The system may automatically ask you for a phone call; however, it’s not required that you take it. Bear with me a moment while I review…

Thanks for your patience. Do you know this officer at all? Whose personal information was sent? Was it sent by accident?

This officer happens to be the best friend of someone we know but are no longer friends with. No it was sent intentionally to scare. she did not identify herself just sent information that included some of my information as well. We live in Ventura County and she is a San Bernadino Officer. We do not go into San Bernadino County, ever. She does not realize that we know this information came from her work phone.

I see what you mean. That's terrible. One of the things that you should do is contact their commander about this situation. If a public service is trying to harass or threaten you, then this is something that you should bring up to them immediately. Have you had a chance to do that just yet?

I have not. To be honest, I am worried about continued harrassment or escalation from this person.

Ok, great. You'll want to stay on that. The sheriff's department will ave a complaint process for you.

Also, you may need to consider action through a court here. In this case, you may want to consider getting a restraining order. Getting a restraining order usually files a few important steps. The first thing you should do is either look online or to go to your local civil courthouse to find out what forms are required for the restraining order. Each county and each state requires different forms so I suggesting going to the courthouse to find out. The first floor where the clerk’s office is usually has all of the forms necessary. The forms eventually have to be submitted to a judge/magistrate who will either approve or deny the request.

Once you’ve obtained the forms, you should fill them out, including all of the detail as to why you feel the restraining order should be granted by the judge. Go to the courthouse to file the forms. You can either wait around or come back later to determine whether the judge has approved the order. If it is approved, the clerk will return to you several copies. One to keep and one to serve. The restraining orders are usually temporary in nature, not lasting over 90 days. The order is enforceable by your county sheriff so if the person violates the order, they can be arrested.

Typically, restraining orders have to be served in person, but they can’t be served by you. This means you should go to www.thumbtack.com and find a process server. A process server is a person who will serve a copy of the lawsuit on the other party. A process server must be at least 18 years old and not involved in the case in any way. If you have a friend or family member who can do it, they can serve it for you, too. Otherwise, most process servers charge something like 50-100 dollars. Once service is complete, the process server will typically have to file a “proof of service” form to swear to the court that they filed the documents.

Not long after the order is granted, the court will set up a hearing date for the future to determine whether the restraining order should be continued beyond the 90 days or so. If you believe that it does need to be continued, then you will make your case. If you don’t believe it needs to be continued, then you can tell the judge this at the hearing. Ultimately, it’s entirely up to the judge whether it continues, so you should be prepared either way. You can always keep your personal information confidential as well so they don't have your most current address.

How else can I help you today?

Is the complaint process through the sheriffs department discrete?

Unfortunately, I don't know for sure. Only the sheriff's department would be able to tell you for sure, but I have no reason to believe that they would force you to divulge all of your information for an officer who is threatening you to see.

ok thank you for your input!

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Thank you! Five Stars!!!

You're too kind, thank you!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer