My son stupidly had a girl video him online and she is

My son stupidly had...

My son stupidly had a girl video him online and she is threatening to send it viral - any suggestions he was in a compromising postion...

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Iowa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Will this cost me right now

3/5/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you there

I know you're probably terrified, but you have nothing to worry about. You're the victim of a scam.

The scam is so popular that it has brought a new word into the language -- sextortion, short for sexual extortion -- and if you Google "sextortion scam" you'll get an idea of how popular this fraud is.

Unscrupulous people hang out in chatrooms and other sites where couples can connect for sexual encounters and chat. They entrap you into exchanging photos or videos, and then they turn around and threaten to publish the videos to your friends and family if you don't pay them money.

DO NOT PAY THEM A CENT!

You should never give into a blackmailer. THey NEVER strike just once and if you pay her once, she'll be asking you for more money and more money and more money and more money. And you'll never get past your fear of her.

On the other hand, if you block her, ignore all of her contact and requests and send her nothing, there is nothing she is really going to do. Her only real power is in her threats. She gets absolutely nothing from exposing you.

Believe it or not, nothing she can do to you is worse than what you can do to yourself if you pay her.

As many times as we get stories like yours, we have NEVER seen the blackmailer follow through with the exposure. That's because she gets NOTHING she wants out of exposing you. All she really wants is money. If you don't pay her, she'll move on to try to blackmail someone else.

Do not pay her. Block her. Don't read or believe her threats. She's only trying to intimidate you to steal your money. The odds are that if you ignore her, she'll do absolutely nothing. If, on the other hand, you pay her and then keep paying her, the odds are 100% that she will keep threatening and asking for more money for the rest of your life until you stop.

Chatting and exchanging sexual videos with another adult is not illegal. You can report her to the police and online to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.IC3.gov

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the information zoey. You will need to change your response however since this blackmailed do go through with the threat. I am sure there are many that don’t but not this one. Information on reporting to fbi ice for cyber crime might also be useful
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That should have read ‘ did go through with the threat’

I'm sorry to hear this. He can contact the website to try to get the photos taken down. If they won't comply, he could engage a local lawyer who could get it done.

What site was it posted on? Explicit photos are illegal on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter, for example. They should remove that very quickly.

I did give the website for the FBI. www.IC3.gov The FBI is partnered there with Interpol and collect data on cybercrime which they distribute worldwide to law enforcement agencies.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We have a local lawyer now. Thank you

You're welcome. Again, I'm sorry to hear that this one decided to carry out the threat. I will keep this in mind when others ask a similar question and advise the other lawyers here of this as well.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney