I have a question that I hope you can help me on. Currently…

I have a question...

I have a question that I hope you can help me on

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Currently in Illinois but this happened in Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is for my wife. My wife at the time was dating someone else that got a car out in both their names, payments were defaulted and car was taken. Now my wife is being held accountable for this.

3/2/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

My wife was dating someone 6 years ago and they got a car together. In both their names. Car payments were defaulted and the vehicle was taken away. Now she received a Judgment against her.

I see what you mean. I'm sorry to hear about that. What questions did you have for me regarding this?

Need to know if we have a case before I dish out anymore money to something that I'll end up paying for a vehicle that we don't even have.

I see. So, did your wife have an agreement with the ex that he would make payments? Also, do you know when payments were no longer being made?

trying to find out, please hold

Ok.

I am so sorry for the delay, in 2013 don't have an exact month or date but that's when the vehicle was taken away

I see what you mean. Thanks for that. Ok, one last question: did the boyfriend agree that he would make payments?

It's important because that will determine her rights and recourse.

it was around May or June of 2013 that this happened and it was not a boyfriend but a girlfriend just to clarify any misunderstandings

I'm sorry. Thank you for clarifying. So, if the co-owner agreed with your wife that they would make the payments, but didn't, then it's a breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started.

If the co-owner didn't agree to make payments, then the breach of contract action won't work. The only thing that your wife would be able to do would be to either a) refinance the vehicle; b) continue to make payments; or c) pay the difference between the auction amount and the amount left owed on the vehicle.

The co-owner only agreed to make payments verbally, nothing was documented but she breached the verbal agreement between my wife and making the payments

I see. So, oral agreements are enforceable so I would probably recommend t your wife to look at that website and possibly take action in court if the co-owner doesn't comply.

Did you have any other questions for me today?

if the co owner did not comply and my wife goes through this website is she still liable for this vehicle? And does the co owner get off scott free of any repercussions?

Unfortunately, she'll still be liable, but her recourse would be to go through the co-owner to get the 50% of the $ that she was owed originally. The co-owner will likely suffer the credit hit as well and the bank will still demand money from the co-owner too so they won't get off scott-free, but at least your wife can recover whatever money above the half that she was supposed to be owed from the ex.

Thank you for your time

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer