I received a writ of garnishment from a judgement (2010) in…

I received a writ...

I received a writ of garnishment from a judgement (2010) in circuit court in a county I have not lived in for more than 20 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Meaning?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure how to explain it

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/2/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
What can I answer for you? I've read what you wrote but I don't see a question listed.

my question is, how can I have a valid judgement against me from 2010, i a circuit court in a county that I have not lived in since 1995?

Well, it depends. What is the judgment for? You don't have to live in a county in order for there to be a judgment against you). Is there something you didn't pay for? Money that you owed? A contract dispute? If there's a writ of garnishment issued it means the other part first got a judgment against you - and before that filed a legal action against you (that you should have received notice of).

its for a loan I don't remember applying for, and then an extra $12k of interest. Order was in 2010, how long until this judgement becomes void?
Can I hire a lawyer to fight this argument for me? $12K in interest on a $3k loan is outrageous.

You certainly can hire an attorney to fight any claims against you. It wouldn't be on contingency, since most lawyers won't take a case like this on contingency. Did you receive notice of the lawsuit?

You'll want to get a copy of the Complaint as well as the judgement to see if anything was done incorrectly. If they failed to provide you with notice of the litigation that would be a reason for a court to toss it out.

excellent, thank you so much.

It's my pleasure :) If you don't need any additional information, if you wouldn't mind could you please take a moment to submit a rating. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively. 5 STARS is always appreciated! If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
no, i never received a notice of the lawsuit. I only ever received this notice of garnishment, have never received any other info from them.

Then it's possible that they never notified you of the litigation would be a basis for overturning the judgment.