I have an employee question. Florida. No not yet. My

I have an employee...

I have an employee question

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My question is do i sue him first or report to dept of labor first?

2/28/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Could you provide for me some background to your situation?

I worked for a Florida employer from 1/29/18 - 2/16/18 when I resigned. Employer refuses to pay me for the three weeks worked ($800/wk x 3wks = $2400), is unreachable by phone/text, and has ignored my emails.

I'm sorry to hear that. This appears to me to be wage theft. An employer in your state is required to pay you for all hours worked at at either a minimum wage or a wage agreed upon by you and the employer. Their failure to do so is going to be considered wage theft and the state of FL may be able to step in and help you if you can't.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter. I know that they haven't been contacting you, but use this as a final demand before you take action. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

If that doesn't work, your department of labor can help get the funds for you. It is required that you contact the department of labor before you bring a lawsuit.

Did you have any other questions for me at all?

No thanks very much

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer