Well I got my husband cousin baby an have had her 14 months…

Well I got my...

Well I got my husband cousin baby an have had her 14 months an Dec has found the dad would I have any chance keeping her.he not been in her life or nothing

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ga

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

They where doing tpr on mom an had us sign papers saying we adaption her

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/24/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Do you currently have a custody order for the child?

Was the TPR and adoption granted?

Thanks!

They where filing tpr on mom an the adaption paper where in process just went to court 1 week an that's what they said do so we signed paper saying we take her
Hello

Yes I'm here, can you please clarify your question.

I'm having a little trouble understanding what exactly has or has not occurred in your case.

Dfc recover the father of the baby but we sign paper to start adaption an now dad want her he don't no her would I have right to keep her

Thanks for clarifying.

The father's parental rights were never terminated as part of the DFC case?

How old is the baby?

17 months they did really no he was the father did dna
She's been in my life an I took care her for 14 months

Thank you for all of the additional information. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks

Since he is the child's biological father, yes he does have legal standing to seek to custody.

Based on the information you've shared, it appears that he has however been absent from child's life so far.

The court can terminate his parental rights as well, if the judge finds that there has been either:

• abandonment
  • abuse
  • mental illness on his part
  • the loss of rights of another child, or i
  • certain felony convictions on his part.

You can consider filing a motion for the termination of his parental rights alongside your adoption request.

The judge will evaluate the father's involvement thus far, and all of the factors I listed above, and may grant your petition for the involuntary termination of his parental rights.

Do you have the help of a lawyer in this matter?

You should consider hiring a lawyer to represent you in this process. The lawyer can file all of the necessary motions on your behalf, and can appear alongside you in court to make all legal arguments for you.

You can contact the Georgia State Bar for a referral to a family law attorney in your area.

There are sometimes pro bono lawyers available who can take your case for free, so be sure to inquire about that possibility as well.

The phone number is:

***-***-****

See:

https://www.gabar.org/forthepublic/findalawyer.cfm

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Great help

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate so I can receive credit for my time and help with your questions, thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones