A person was taking another to court to recoup monies that…

A person was taking...

A person was taking another to court to recoup monies that the latter owed him for services rendered. The latter was not legal in this country at the time. At any rate, the illegal refused to pay. Now the illegal is going to court and is also suing for attorney's fees. Can he sue for legal fees in the state of Georgia?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I'm sorry, I got disconnected

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

To my knowledge, a letter was written to the illegal but it has not gone to court date is set for this wed

2/19/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I will wait for you to review

So, if I can clarify: you're wondering whether a legal citizen is allowed to bring a lawsuit into court. Is that right?

no, I can't afford the money
I live on disability. I
I was just helping a friend

I understand. Those requests are sent automatically by the system. Are you wondering whether a legal citizen is allowed to bring a lawsuit into court. Is that right?

no/
the illegal man owes my friend for services rendered
he doesn't want to pay
he is now asking that my friend pay for his attorney's fee for court this wed.
someone told my friend that in GA you cannot sue for attorney's fees
is this correct?

I see what you mean. Thank you for clarifying. The answer to your question is yes; a party Under GA law at § 9-15-14 of the civil practice code can request attorneys fees if they are successful in their action in court, whether they're the defendant or the plaintiff.

So, let me clarify, I mean your answer is no, what you've been told is incorrect. Parties can sue for attorney's fees. How else can I help you today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer