If my fiancé and I had plans to get married and she gets…

Hi if my fiancé...

Hi if my fiancé and I had plans to get married and she gets arrested for domestic violence towards me, can she receive a no contact order if we continue on and get married?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Stateside

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

She is active duty and I am now a civilian

2/18/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The answer to your question is yes, a person can be issued a no contact order, even if they are married. In fact, in many cases, spouses may have no contact orders issued against them. The law does not care whether the parties are married if a no contact order is issued and it is irrespective of their civilian status as well.

Did you have any other questions for me today?

is it possible to fight the no contact order?

It is. But this means that she would have to persuade a judge that this issue was a) not serious and b) that it is not likely to happen again. If you have a chance to testify on her behalf at an upcoming hearing regarding the matter, then that will help, particularly if the no contact order requires her not to contact you. How else can I help today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hi, just wanted to follow up to see if you had any other questions for me at all today?