I have a neighbor who is dealing & using drugs. It has kept…

I have a neighbor who...
I have a neighbor who is dealing & using drugs. It has kept me wake at night. I do not feel safe living next to him. He has been arrest 3 times in 6 months for possession w/intent & keeps getting released on bail. Has a long list of arrests for burglary, forgery, and spent 6.5 yrs in prison for 1st degree burglary. The landlord knows all of this and won't do anything. Is there anything I can do?
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/17/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

That is fine. Just to let you know I am not going to be available for awhile as I have to pick up grandkids & drop off their friends. So, if I don't respond right away or answer a call that is why.

This appears to be a violation of the implied covenant (promise) of quiet enjoyment. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied covenant of quiet enjoyment. Under the implied covenant of quiet enjoyment, it states that the landlord will not take any action or make any omission which disturbs a tenant’s right to possession and quiet enjoyment of the premises. The warranty does not protect the tenant from the acts of third parties over whom the landlord has no control. However, if the landlord does have control over the situation, but chooses to do nothing, then it is a violation. To help facilitate the situation, you may want to consider just writing a demand to the landlord that they rectify this situation or you will move off the property and not pay any rent thereafter. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

What other questions did you have for me today?

I think that answers my question. Thank you for your help with this situation.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer