If I am in possession of the title to my car, am I

If I am in...

If I am in possession of the title to my car, am I considered the legal owner?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Idaho, and the car is a 2007 Chevy Aveo

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The title was sent to me by the loan company in 2014 by mistake. I held onto to it because I didn't trust them. I continued making payments. The loan was just discharged in a chapter 7. I was going to keep the car and have continued to make payments, but the loan was not reaffirmed. The car is not worth what is even still owed on the loan. I have already paid more than twice what the car is worth. I don't even know if they will want to come and get the car, and I just purchased a new car. But I have the title releasing me from liability, and have had it for the last four years.

2/17/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

If you have the title here you would be free to sell it.They have not claimed it, this is real common if the car isn't worth it to them.Since there is no lien on title you can legally sell it here. It would allow you some down payment or money for new vehicle.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Thank you

You are so welcome have great weekend.If you can rate 5 stars at top of page it is much appreciated.

Ray, Lawyer