I live with my girlfriend in my home. For about one year.

I live with my girlfriend...
I live with my girlfriend in my home. For about one year. She has since moved in her 25 year old son. She also has two young children. I have asked multiple times for help paying the utilities. Nobody pays rent. Nobody contributes to the utilities. In addition, she and her children are extremely messy. Piles of her and her kids stuff in most rooms and closets. Whenever I confront her she becomes baligerant and yells. I then try to leave and she physical prevents this. I.e. blocks my path, stands in front of my vehicle . What the heck can I do leagally to solve? Please help
2/17/2018
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. She and her kids are merely guests in your home. they have no legal right to possession of the property - they are not paying tenants. Therefore, I recommend a simple Notice to Vacate be provided to them to leave the premises within 24 hours. You can even ask the cops to be present when you give her the notice if you think she might be violent. If she gets violent, the cops will remove her from the property. If they fail to leave, call the cops and tell the cops that they are trespassing, have no lease, have never paid rent and that you have asked them to leave. You can then call a locksmith and change the locks = locking them out of the property.

She has no recourse to send you "to prison" - it is your home and you don't want them there anymore. She is merely threatening you so she has a free place to live.

Have I answered all you questions?

If so, please be sure to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.

Lori
Lori, Attorney
You have partly.. my other concern or question is- do I have a right to not be held captive by her. She physically tries to prevent me from leaving and tries to provoke me. She will block my path and put her hands on me.. do I have the right to move her out of my path? And leave to avoid conflict?...When I have done this before, I have to “peel” or push her away and run. She screams abuse. I say it is self defense. Thank you for your reply, I will post my rating now.