Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My son has been interviewed by the FBI regarding a death due…

My son has been...

My son has been interviewed by the FBI regarding a death due to overdose where he was at a party and met the person of interest. He cooperated and all seemed ok and now FB I wants his phone. Should be speak to an attorney?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I know of, but the did read him MIranda rights

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm just wanting to know if he should be too wot?

2/14/2018
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your criminal law question today. I'm attorney Bill assisting you.

Your son need only comply if there is a search warrant or subpoena duces tecum issues for the phone.

Without either he isn't obliged to hand over the phone.

Speaking with an attorney is always recommendable as the phone might contain self-incriminating information in relation to the alleged crime or another crime.

That said people are encouraged to facilitate law enforcement with their investigations so if he has nothing to hide he can be doing the city a service.

If he was read his rights he must have been arrested, have any charges been filed ?

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback to get a credit today.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
He says he wasn’t arrested, no fingerprints or pictures taken, just an interview. They never told him he was arrested. He feels he has nothing to hide and wants to cooperate, but I’m concerned. They told himif he got a lawyer it would look like he was hiding something. Not sir what to do.
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Not sure what to do.

So it is up to him in relation to the phone and further interviews.

This is a moral decision rather than a legal decision.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
What are the chances this is more than gathering information? I don’t know anything about how these things can work out I’ve never been closer to the law than a traffic ticket.

Certainly handing over a phone and answering incriminating questions can help law enforcement build a case.

I f he hasn't been arrested there must be a deficiency at the moment in terms of incriminating evidence.

Then again they do offer immunity to those willing to give evidence about other perpetrators of crimes.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Do you think he should call an attorney? He says he has nothing to hide because he doesn't know anything, he wasn't there he was someplace else with a friend who they also interviewed and confirmed they were together somewhere else. He is however a friend of someone who knew the suspect.

I couldn't advise your son to consult with police without an attorney.

Best

attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Customer reply replied 11 days ago
Thank you for your comments.
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer