Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I’m a nurse Practitioner that does Stem... I’m a nurse

I’m a nurse Practitioner that...
I’m a nurse Practitioner that does Stem...
I’m a nurse Practitioner that does Stem cell injections. I have a patient an MD that has shoulder pain. He had prostate cancer and it spread to his lungs. He currently has a tumor on his scapula. A contraindication to stem cell therapy is active cancer in the site. I will be injecting stem cellsinto his shoulder joint. In theory some can leak out of the joint capsule & seek his tumor & make it grow. He has a release from his oncologist to have the injection. Who knows what his oncologist knows about stem cells! They actually use stem cells with chemo attached to penetrate tumors. Anyway long story short what do I have to put in the consent so that I will not be sued when his tumor grows. We discussed that this might make his tumor grow. He understands this & willing to take the risk to get relief from his shoulder pain. Thank you
13 February 2018 09:44
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/14/2018
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience, inclduing extensive experience in the regulation of health professionals. I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

I am working on your answer now. I am sorry for the delay. It takes some time to prepare a complete answer. Please note the phone call requests are generated automatically from the system. I do not control them.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Thank you for a well written concise description of the circumstances. You have a fascinating and importan question.

Fortunately your description of the circumstances provides us with the exact guide to the answer to your question. The goal of the written informed consent is to identify the risks aasociated with the procedure that you plan to perform. The document does not stand alone, in that it is to be a recordation of the conversation that you have with your patient. BUT it does identify in plain terms the risks and alternatives to the proposed procedure.

You likely already have a consent agreement that contains the standard or "boiler plate" provisions associated with the standard risks of the procedures you perfrom. So we do not have to rewrite the entire consent. We need amend it to incorporate a few sentences that outline the concerns that you have described so well here. So for example you can attach an additional page to the consnet.

The following is intended merely as a guide or example of the type of language that you can use:

"Addendum to Informed Consent for XX procedure.

In addition to the description of the procedure described in the Informed Consent the procedure that will be peformed on Patient will include the injection of stem cells into a Patient who has acrtive prostate cancer whcih ahs migrated into his pulmonary system. The cancer has manifested with an appearance of a tumor on his scapula. Typically injection of stem cells into a patient that has cancer is cotra-indicated where the patient has active cancer in or near the site of the injection. The reason for the contraindication is that the stem cells may interact with the cancer causing the cancer to increase and perhaps spread. The site of injection in Patient is the shoulder joint. It currently appears that the site does not ahve active cancer, but that can not be determined with certainty. Also it is possible that the injected material may navigate from the site to an area where cnacer is active. This could cause the cance to increase.

The risks of these events can not currently be determined with a any degree of confidence.

These risks have been expalined to Patient, and Patient's Oncologist. The Oncologist has cleared patient for the procedure, aand Patient has determined to accept the risks as indicated by his signature on the Consent for Treatment and his signature on this Addendum."

There may be other language available on line that you can alos model. It is recommended that you review the language that you develop with your group practice attorney to make sure that it meets any specific requirements of your state.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
That is wonderful! The chiropractor that I work for has a 4 page consent from the Stem cell institute. I have only worked there 40 hours. He said I didn’t need to worry about it, that his malpractice would take care of it! I’m the one with the needle, I’m the one who will be sued by him or his family if this tumor takes on a life of its own! The patient will say one thing & then when complications develop, they will sue you. Thank you very much! I will type up this addendum right away! Of course he is my first patient of the morning. Your experience shows! Thanks again. I may have to talk with you again. I caught him trying to say this patient needs a $5000 injection in his hip & another $5000 in his knee! His knee pain is referred from his hip! His hip is too far gone for stem cell & his knees on XRay look like 18 yr. old knees - no joint space narrowing! I flat out said in front of the chiro & the patient that if I didn’t know better, I would think I was looking at a pair of 18 yr. old knees! He is greedy & unethical! I have only worked there 9 days part time! I signed a 1 yr. contract. I have made him so mad sometimes (because I’m right!) I hope I get fired! Thanks again for your assistance. You have exquisite insight into the problem.
Good Night

Thank you.

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer