Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a family member who bought a car from another family…

I have a family...

I have a family member who bought a car from another family member and the sold it to a third party before she titled the car in her name. The car was never titled in the name of the last buyer ( actually not a buyer because he never fully paid for the car) so it is in the name of the original owner. Now we find out that the car was in an accident and the last "buyer" has no insurance and the original owner cannot renew her registration because of the accident. This whole process started over 7 years ago. Can the original owner sign an affidavit that the car was sold years ago and that she is not responsible for the accident and whatever other charges may be issued?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

Wisconsin and no I have not contacted anyone yet. I'm trying to track down the deadbeat but we're not likely to get any cooperation from him since we never got paid in full for the car.

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you need to appear in court?

Don't know. I'll check.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything else. They are saying that the original owner needs to settle up for the accident and pay something for not being insured, I think.

2/14/2018
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The last owner may have to file suit against the subsequent buyer for indemnity and ask the court to find that the owner of record is not the actual owner because of the sale, and ask the court to enter an order finding that the buyer/buying party is the one responsible for any damages, etc.

If the last owner does not take action and get a court order finding that he/she is not responsible, it is going to be hard to make any progress.

Roger, Attorney
Roger, Attorney